Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Sunny days


Beautiful day here in Luxor, bright blue sky, gentle breeze and high temperatures of 26C - what more could you ask for? I remembered that this time last year there was unseasonally hot weather and looked on Wunderground and sure enough, it was 37C on this day last year! Phew

I was up at 5.30am this morning as I like to get a cup of tea in and get a few things done before Little RT gets up.

A Brother in Law has now got a visa to go and work in Saudi Arabia and leaves next Monday. It is going to be very strange without him. He pops in late afternoon most days, usually to see if there is a wedge of cake or a bit of pudding going begging as he has a very sweet tooth. He won't be coming back for annual leave for a whole year! He is married with a 5 month old son so it will be very hard for him to be begin with. Regardless, it is going to be good for him and his family in the long term so I wish him luck.

We have got some workmen in at the moment and one of them is really accident prone. Nearly everyday he knocks on the door for a plaster or a paracetomol because he's dropped a brick on his head. I had three packets of plasters when he first came here and now only about two left.LOL.

We pumped Little RT's paddling pool up and he has been having a great time splashing about.





Meanwhile Mr RTand I have been busy filling some holes on some furniture and sanding them down but we laid out some dust sheets on the terrace so we could enjoy the sun and watch Little RT.


I brought back from the UK a cheap pair of ipod speakers but they are actually ok for the price. We listened to some music while we were working. Mr RT is a massive Abdel Halim Hafez fan, so we listened to some of his music while we sanded away.

A few years ago we went to watch a film in Cairo about his life called 'Halim'. The film was brilliant and I actually shed a tear at the end as he'd led such a terribly sad life and died from the effects of Bilharzia. Anyway, I like many of the films that he was in from this period and love to see how the Egyptian Women dressed in those days (1950's). Abdel Halim Hafez was a very handsome man in his day, especially in his daper suits. However, I am sad to say that I just don't like his singing voice.

There I said it.

I am sorry if any of you are die hard Abdel Halim Hafez fans and appreciate that my lack of understanding of his music is possibly because I don't understand every word that he is saying. My husband can't BELIEVE that I don't like his voice.
I do however, like the Egyptian orchestras in his music so for me the following song gets better for me at around 1.46 secs.




What do you think? Are you a fan? Or have you never heard of him? Very likely if you are not Egyptian.

Anyway, I made some lovely poppy seeded rolls for lunch and we sat by the River and had a picnic. Little RT wore himself out so much he is now having an afternoon nap.

Today is Shrove Tuesday so we are going to make pancakes later. I am responsible for making the batter, Little RT for adding the milk and the all important last stir and Mr RT is in charge of cooking and flipping. I like them with a sprinkle of sugar and a squirt of lemon. Mr RT likes his with honey. How do you eat yours?








No comments:

Post a Comment