Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Sowing the seeds.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
Martin Luther 


Oranges starting to ripen


We've been really busy the last few days sorting out the garden. We had somebody watering the garden but no doing any pruning and things certainly to grow fast here.

Our garden is now not so jungle like so we can can start on this years gardening projects.


Grapple me grapenuts




I've still got so much to learn about gardening in Luxor. I'm going to be starting a lot of things off from seed but it is difficult to work out which is the best time. In the UK frost and day length determines when we can plant outdoors but here in Luxor we don't get frost and still get many hours of warmth and daylight even during the winter months.



A local collecting Dates from one of our Palm Trees


 At first I thought February would be a good time to start but I was speaking to a Facebook friend in Hurghada who has had a lot of success starting seeds off in October which I guess makes sense. Young seedling are not struggling to survive in high heats that we get here even in spring and we are still a good few months away from the coldest of the Luxor weather in January and February.


Morning Glory Vine starting to lose some of its glory in the mid-morning sun


So I've come to the conclusion that there are probably two growing seasons in Luxor September/October time and February onwards.



Cutting down dates...
going, going...



 I intend to give both a shot and see what happens. After all, no one is going to be handing me a book entitled " The Definitive Guide to Gardening in Luxor" anytime soon.



gone.



Ruby T is on her own - but up for the challenge.


Orange Tree
I will be growing some plants and flowers as I'd like to fill some containers and I also love how they attract certain birds and butterflies. However, it's more important for me to be growing fruits and vegetables and making sure our land is productive as possible.  I intend to make full notes of my successes and failures in the hope that at some point in the near future I will know from experience what works best.

We've just pulled down our Nabaq tree or "Ziziphus Jujube", it created great shade but didn't look very nice and the only fruit it produced was some small sour berries. Every Egyptian that came into our garden on seeing this tree would shake the branches to make the berries drop down. The berries seem to be really popular with the children here but I just found them tasteless. New Nabaq trees keep sprouting up everywhere so it just had to go.

 We decided to pull it down and will be putting Mango tree's in it's place. The wood is going to my Father in Law who is going to make something with it.

Bye bye Nabaq tree

I intend to grow lots of different types of vegetable, Loofahs (yes those vegetable that can be eaten or dried into back scrubbers), Chilli's, Beetroot, Cherry Tomatoes, French Beans, Carrots, Pak Choi to name but a few. I hope I'll have some success.




2 comments:

  1. Nice to read ;-), hope you will have succes, what I can recommend are all kind of beans, spinache, leek (hard to find in shops here in Hurghada and nice for soup or even as veggie, radish and I even had colliflower and brocolli ;-).
    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the jujube tree, but that's cool that the wood will be used for something! You may find the fruits tastier if you eat them dried...they are crunchy, sweet, and remind me of apples! (But I also like them straight from the tree.)

    ReplyDelete