Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Lay a little egg for me...




It feels like forever since I've updated this blog...probably because it is. I don't know why but I had the urge to do a blog post this morning.

Sunset from our garden overlooking Kings Island.

We're still enjoying life here in Luxor. We've now got chickens that free range in the garden and we are now getting as many as 25 eggs a day. I've also got into incubating  eggs and raising birds from babies. It's really quite a commitment as you have to manually turn the eggs over like a Mother Hen would, three times a day. Here are some of my egg in the 'bator' as my fellow Chicken enthusiasts seem to call it.





I've been quite successful so far and manage to hatch these little cutie Baladi chicks...


and yesterday saw the arrival of four little Pekin Ducks which are just the most adorable balls of yellow fluffiness you've ever seen

A few hours after hatching, all nice and fluffy.
The second duckling taking a snooze after hatching
I'm hoping to have a go at Geese and Turkeys next.

We get so much fruit on our trees now it's just incredible, the coming months we'll see peaches, mangoes, apricots, applies, figs and Dates so lots of Jam making to crack on with.

We had a rather lovely guest stay with us recently who made a video of our garden and chickens. It was in February so probably the worst month as it's very wintery but if you're interested in watching you can see it here https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153143387461983 and feel free to 'like' my Facebook page while you're at it.


1 comment:

  1. How lovely to see you blogging again! I know what you mean about that "urge"; and not having it too.
    I hope and expect that your little family are all well, and growing apace. They'll, no doubt, be keeping you busy, whilst we keep busy on re-arranging and up-grading our apartment. It gets boring otherwise with the paucity of new faces coming to stay.
    Never mind, though! We seem to have turned the corner in that respect, with more bookings so far this year than the whole of last!!! Look after yourself.
    Edward. xx

    ReplyDelete